Indigenous Youth Leadership Programme
Bob attended the 2013 Year 12 Graduation Ceremony for the Indigenous Youth Leadership Program at the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra today.
The Indigenous Youth Leadership Programme (the Programme) is helping to close the gaps in Indigenous educational disadvantage through supporting a number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to attend high performing secondary schools (government and non-government, day and boarding) and/or universities to complete Year 12 or an undergraduate degree.
Between 2006 and 2013, 1296 individual Secondary and 301 individual Tertiary students have been supported by the programme.
Since 2006 more than 86 per cent of students have been retained in the programme or have completed Year 12. More than 92 per cent of students have been retained in education, with some students continuing to study without the assistance of a scholarship.
More than 98 per cent of students who have begun Year 12 have completed the year.
The Programme is delivered through eight partnership brokers that target specific regions and together provide national coverage.
Photo 1: Bob, Ms Richelle Wyles and Mr Jayden Smallwood of Ingham.
Photo 2: Bob and (L-R) Ms Shanice Enoch (Mt Isa), Ms Rhys Munns (Mt Isa), Ms Amber Pople (family from Cloncurry), Mr Bujimulla Yanner (Burketown).
Photo 3: Bob Kennedy and Ms Crystal Thomas of Innisfail.
Photo 4: Bob and North Queensland year 12 graduates at the 2013 Year 12 Graduation Ceremony for the Indigenous Youth Leadership Program at the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, ACT.
Left to Right are:
- Ms Richelle Wyles (Ingham Local) Gilroy Santa Maria College
- Ms Amber Pople (Charters Towers/Cloncurry local) Columba Catholic College
- Ms Shanice Enoch (Mount Isa local) Good Shepherd Catholic College
- Ms Rhys Munns (Mount Isa local) Good Shepherd Catholic College
- Bob Katter MP, Federal Member for Kennedy
- Ms Crystal Thomas (Innisfail local) Stuartholme School
- Mr Bujimulla Yanner(Burketown local) St Teresa's College
- Mr Jayden Smallwood (Ingham local) Gilroy Santa Maria College
- Mr Assan Sam (Weipa/Palm Island local) Brisbane Boy's College